Friday, 20 November 2015

Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week (November 16-22)



Its started to get colder in the last week, everyone is getting comfy indoors.  I have even had my heating on most days and evenings.  When the gas gets turned on and up, who is actually paying attention at the possibilities of the silent killer that could be in the air?

When I was growing up, my dad had Calor Gas heaters in our home, he would wheel one in to my bedroom in the mornings and fire it up before getting me up for school.  I remember asking him if I could have it at night times, he would say no, or would come and turn it off after a short while.  He would say they are poisonous, I never really understood what he meant.  I just thought he was being a tight wad.

However on occasion the Calor Gas heaters can and do leak.  More often these days Carbon Monoxide (CO) tends to leak by the incomplete burning of gas. This happens when a gas appliance has been incorrectly fitted, badly repaired, even poorly maintained.  It can also occur if flues, chimneys or vents are blocked.  Worst cases CO leaks via broken or corroded pipes or pipe separation within the walls of your home.  Carbon Monoxide (CO) can be a killer, there is no smell, no taste in the air and no colour, its invisible.   There has been cases of small leaks, these could even last for while before poor health would be detected.

 



CORGI HomePlan surveyed 2,000 people about gas safety and their awareness of carbon monoxide. The results were alarming.

* Less than half of their boilers (41 per cent) are serviced annually.
* A shocking seven per cent had never been serviced.

Regular, annual servicing of all gas appliances – boilers, cookers, fires and heaters – is the best defense against carbon monoxide leaks.

Servicing can only carried out by Gas Safe Registered engineers (thats Corgi to the likes of you and me). The engineer will assess the condition of the appliance, pipework, air vents and flues, looking for deterioration. They will carry out performance tests and take any necessary action. This is the only way to ensure your appliances are operating safely and efficiently.

CORGI Have written a fascinating article 
Make sure to read it! It could save your life!


It's not all doom and gloom, there is a great little device that can help detect CO in the air, it's a Carbon Monoxide Detector.  I have great news, as I have one to giveaway away to a lucky reader.


GOOD LUCK EVERYONE and becareful!
 
Please follow the steps:
Leave a comment on my blog, follow my blog via GFC, subscribe to my blog via email, follow me on Twitter @LondonBirdLucy, and like my facebook fanpage; Its a London Bird Thing, Follow me on Instagram<br />
Make sure to follow @Corgihomeplan
Ends 14th December 
Open to UK residence only<br />
Only open 18+
 - Winner contacted soon after and details made public on my social media sites.  


Disclaimer: This is an unsponsored post